21/Oct/2021 | 8 minutes to read
Here is a List of essential PostgreSQL Interview Questions and Answers for Freshers and mid level of Experienced Professionals. All answers for these PostgreSQL questions are explained in a simple and easiest way. These basic, advanced and latest PostgreSQL questions will help you to clear your next Job interview.
These interview questions are targeted for PostgreSQL developers or PostgreSQL DBA (Database Administrator). You must know the answers of these frequently asked PostgreSQL interview questions to clear the interview.
1. What is the PostgreSQL database?
PostgreSQL sometimes called as POSTGRES, is an open-source relational database management system. It's a free and most advanced relational
database emphasizing SQL compliance. It provides a huge number of functionalities to it's users.
PostgreSQL is a very stable database management system. It provides transactions with ACID properties. You can perform all common operations like query, filter, join, grouping, subquery in PostgreSQL similar to other databases like SQL Server, MySQL and Oracle.
2. Explain the PostgreSQL Architecture.
PostgreSQL Architecture is completely based on client-server architecture.
At the server side it consists of PostgreSQL's background processes and shared memory which work together to build an instance. This instance handles the access to data.
The user's client application connects to this instance and requests the services for read, write operations to the database server. The client can be of any type here like any GUI application, web application or any database management tool. For more PostgreSQL Architectural Fundamentals visit PostgreSQL Architecture Fundamentals and for architecture visit PostgreSQL Architecture.
3. Explain PostgreSQL Performance tuning tips.
Performance tuning is really required for slow running queries and systems which are not performing as expected. Sometimes, there
are hardware constraints which degrade the performance of the system but sometimes queries are not optimized or poorly written. There are many performance tuning
tips which can help you to improve the performance of both hardware components and
For more about these performance tips visit PostgreSQL Performance tips.
4. Explain some features of PostgreSQL?
PostgreSQL offers a very rich set of features in addition to being free and open-source. It allows developers and database administrators
to build applications and fault-tolerant environments to manage the data irrespective of its size. PostgreSQL is a highly extensible Relational database management
system. It provides the capability to define your own data types, custom functions and code in different programming languages without recompiling the database.
For a complete list of PostgreSQL features visit PostgreSQL Features.
5. What are different data types in PostgreSQL?
There are many data types in PostgreSQL like char, character varying, character, varchar, bigint, bit, bit varying, boolean date, double precision, integer, interval, smallint, time, numeric. For more visit PostgreSQL Data Types
6. How to change column's data type in PostgreSQL?
7. What is a dual table in PostgreSQL? What is the use of it?
8. How is PostgreSQL different from SQL Server?
9. How to select top 10 records in PostgreSQL?
10. Explain PostgreSQL Inheritance. How PostgreSQL implements table inheritance? What is the use of it?
11. Explain Table Partitioning in PostgreSQL.
12. What is the benefit of Table Partitioning in PostgreSQL?
13. What do you understand about constraint exclusion in PostgreSQL?
14. How to scale a PostgreSQL database?
15. What is the max size of a table in PostgreSQL?
16. What is Planner/Optimizer in PostgreSQL? How to create an optimal execution plan for a query?
17. Explain Genetic Query Optimizer in PostgreSQL.
18. Explain Indices in PostgreSQL.
19. What different types of index does PostgreSQL provide?
1. How much will you rate yourself in PostgreSQL?
When you attend an interview, Interviewer may ask you to rate yourself in a specific Technology like PostgreSQL, So It's depend on your knowledge and work experience in PostgreSQL.
2. What challenges did you face while working on PostgreSQL?
This question may be specific to your technology and completely depends on your past work experience. So you need to just explain the challenges you faced related to PostgreSQL in your Project.
3. What was your role in the last Project related to PostgreSQL?
It's based on your role and responsibilities assigned to you and what functionality you implemented using PostgreSQL in your project. This question is generally asked in every interview.
4. How much experience do you have in PostgreSQL?
Here you can tell about your overall work experience on PostgreSQL.
5. Have you done any PostgreSQL Certification or Training?
It depends on the candidate whether you have done any PostgreSQL training or certification. Certifications or training are not essential but good to have.
We have covered some frequently asked PostgreSQL Interview Questions and Answers to help you for your Interview. All these Essential PostgreSQL Interview Questions are targeted for mid level of experienced Professionals and freshers.
While attending any PostgreSQL Interview if you face any difficulty to answer any question please write to us at email@example.com. Our IT Expert team will find the best answer and will update on the portal. In case we find any new PostgreSQL questions, we will update the same here.